Its no longer news that the race to the white house in this year Novembers election became more intense with the announcement of a female senator Kamala Harris as the Vice presidential running mate to the Democratic candidate Joe Biden. While many know about her background. Not many know much about her. We try to make it simple by bringing you top 10 facts to know about Joe Biden’s VP running mate Kamala Harris, the US senator representing California.
1. She is the first Black and South Asian American woman chosen for national office by a major political party. If Joe Biden defeats President Trump in November, Kamala Harris would become the first woman in US history to serve as vice president.
2. Harris is a graduate of Howard University and the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. and a member of Third Baptist Church of San Francisco, which is a congregation of the American Baptist Churches USA.
3. In California, she became the first woman, South Asian American and first Black woman, to serve as the state’s top law enforcement official.
4. She is also the first South Asian American and the first Black woman from California to serve in the US Senate, and second from any state, after Illinois’ Carol Moseley Braun.
5. As District Attorney of San Francisco from 2004–2011 she is known for the following policies: actions against Non-violent crimes, conviction of felony cases, sought a sentence of life in prison without parole in place of Death penalty, embarking on a initiative to combat truancy for at-risk elementary school youth in San Francisco district.
6. She is known for her policies in dealing with Transnational criminal organizations, Sex crimes, Law enforcement, Environmental protection, consumer protection, vacation of the Death penalty, criminal justice reform as California’s Attorney General election from January 3, 2011 – January 3, 2017
7. As US senator she condemned President Trump for the Executive Order 13769, barring citizens from several Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. for 90 days. Harris also opposed President Trump’s cabinet choices Betsy DeVos and Jeff Sessions, for United States for Secretary of Education and attorney general respectively.
8. Harris vied for the Democratic candidacy for President of the United States in the 2020 United States presidential election but withdrew on December 3, 2019, citing a shortage of funds. She later endorsed Joe Biden for president in March 2020.
9. The 55 year old Harris will join other past female politicians like Democrat Geraldine Ferraro, in 1984, and Republican Sarah Palin, in 2008, as only the third woman to be chosen as the running mate on a presidential ticket.
10. She is childless and the stepmother to her husband Douglas Emhoff’s two children from his previous marriage.